RAINBOW DETOX SALAD. A light, healthy, glowing salad with the most deliciously sweet and citrusy dressing.
A few weeks ago, I came home after a long, tiring day and I was absolutely starving. I day dreamed about having smooth spaghetti encompassed in a rich tomato sauce whilst out all day, so naturally I was adamant on having pasta for dinner. To my displeasure, I found that I didn’t actually have the ingredients to make pasta and going out to the store was the last thing I wanted to do.
Anyway, so I decided to rummage through the kitchen in search of ingredients that I could use to make a quick and easy meal. ‘It doesn’t have to taste amazing’ I told myself. Just something to curb my hunger so that I can get into bed and go to sleep as soon as possible. With no intention to make the most refreshingly delicious salad ever, I chopped, sliced and combined ingredients to make myself THIS Rainbow Detox Salad.
And so it was this very evening that creamy avocados, sweet-crispy grilled corn, fragrant parsley, fresh mint, fluffy couscous, juicy cherry tomatoes and a touch of chopped red onions came together in a marriage encompassed by a sweet and citrusy honey-lime dressing = DREAMY.
I kid you not you guys, this salad tasted delicious and was just what I needed to give me a kick start and help get myself out of the rut that I was in. The creamy avocados felt comforting. The couscous added some carbs to make the salad filling. And the fresh herbs and corn added just enough crunch to make me feel revitalised and refreshed. This nutritious Rainbow Detox Salad is so luscious and the perfect healthy meal to curb your hunger whilst also keeping you satisfied.
I feel as though for me a salad isn’t a salad without avocado. Ironically enough though, the first time I ever tried one was at my sister Husna’s house at the age of 14/15 and I thought it tasted absolutely awful. I didn’t understand the hype and the oily and very rich texture was not appetising to me whatsoever. You’ll be pleased to know Avocados grew on me as time went on and they are now one of my favourite fruits ever. Interesting fact: a single avocado has almost double the amount of potassium than a banana. So If you’re looking for a pick me up that’s quick and easy, yet will provide you with lots of energy look no further than this Rainbow Detox Salad. Simply looking at this RainbowDetox Salad alone is bound to get you in the mood for spring and summer. And if that’s not enough, then think GRILLED CORN. Now that definitely sings long SUMMER DAYS 🙂
- 1 ear (240g) fresh sweetcorn, husked
- ⅓ cup (65g) couscous
- ⅔ cup parsley, no stalks and finely chopped
- 1 (100g) avocado, diced
- 3 table spoons red onion, finely chopped
- 15 (160g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 10 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 3 ½ table spoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 table spoons fresh lime juice
- 1 table spoon honey
- ½ table spoon dijon mustard
- ¼ tea spoon salt
- ½ tea spoon black pepper
- HEAT the grill to a medium/high heat and grill/broil your sweet corn for 15-20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes.
- COOK the couscous according to the packet instructions.
- MEANWHILE, for the dressing - combine the extra virgin olive oil, fresh lime juice, honey, dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- CUT the corn off the cob and toss with the couscous, parsley, avocado, red onion, cherry tomatoes and fresh mint in a large bowl.
- POUR the dressing over the salad, toss and serve.