These easy Honey Mustard Chicken Drumsticks are one of my favourite full proof recipes. It combines sweet and sticky with crispy and savoury. Baked to perfection, this guaranteed crowd pleaser is my take on an all round classic.
Hi everyone, this is my first blog post. Don’t we all love food? However much we want to go on that diet and trim that excess chub, we always get tempted to have that succulent dish that oozes sensation in our taste buds. So allow me to help and guide you foodies to dishes that will be quick, easy and above all bursting with flavour.
What better way to kick things off than to share one of my favourite dishes with you? Now… who doesn’t like chicken? As a prepubescent I loved my chicken fillets and as a teen I loved my chicken wings. As much as I still do love enjoying some chicken wings to this day (flat wings only), we all need that elegant chicken delight to share with the whole family.
Now let’s be real here, I love experimenting with different recipes and trying out new flavour combos. As a result, I rarely find myself going back to the same recipe – but this here is an exception. I’m sure everyone has a favourite go-to recipe that’s a full proof meal that will not disappoint. These easy Honey Mustard Chicken Drumsticks are a dish that you’ll crave and want to make time and time again! I kid you not, in the past month I’ve probably made this dish over 5 times.
Aside from the fact that they are easy, these chicken drumsticks are sticky, crispy and unregretfully delicious. It’s a dish that the whole entire family can agree on (just like my Best Banana Bread)! Undoubtedly I think that the crispy, honey glazed skin and tender, juicy chicken inside has something to do with it! They taste great on their own, or you can pair them with rice and a salad or seasonal vegetables to make a full meal out of it.
If you love simple and succulent meals with depth and vibrant flavour, you’ll love this! I’ve added some spices to this dish which you might not expect in a Honey Mustard Chicken recipe, but it makes this dish sing with so many more exciting flavours + kids still love grabbing these! I myself have a Brandy Bunch-esque family. A whole heap of nephews and nieces, uncles and aunties and brothers and sisters. It’s often a huge task feeding them all, especially during special occasions. One meal that never fails to make a mark on the Richter scale of succulence are these Honey Mustard Chicken Drumsticks.
Quick tip: If the family are coming over tomorrow make sure you marinate the chicken the night before and simply pop it in the oven the next day when you come back from work! Better yet, the longer it marinates the better it tastes. Then bobs your uncle! You’re ready to go. Disclaimer: This is only for those who have the fortune of people calling you before they come over!
I’ve also found that reserving some of the honey and brushing it on to the drumsticks mid way through the baking process helps to give the chicken a stronger, sweet honey infused flavour AND – it gives a lovely crisp outer layer to the drumsticks. Don’t be afraid to add a little bit of spice if that’s the flavour that grabs your taste buds. That’s the beautiful thing about this dish, you can cater it to your delight and you still wouldn’t stray too far from the original material.
Simple. Succulent. Satisfying. Prepare yourself for finger licking goodness!
- • 14 (1.5kg) chicken drumsticks, skin on
- • 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- • 1 x1inch (2.5cm x 2.5cm) piece ginger, finely chopped
- • 2½ table spoons light soy sauce
- • 4 table spoons dijon mustard
- • 6 table spoons honey
- • 2 table spoons olive oil
- • 2 table spoons fresh lemon juice
- • 1 ½ tea spoons salt
- • 1 tea spoon black pepper
- • 1 tea spoon ground cumin
- • 1 tea spoon ground chilli
- • 1 tea spoon ground paprika
- • 2 table spoons sesame seeds
- WHISK the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, dijon mustard, 3 table spoons of honey, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, cumin, chilli and paprika powder in a large bowl.
- ADD the chicken drumsticks and evenly coat them in the marinade.
- COVER the bowl with cling film and marinade for 2-24 hours in the fridge (the longer the better the taste).
- PRE-HEAT the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6
- REMOVE the drumsticks from the fridge and allow them to reach room temperature for 20 minutes.
- BAKE the chicken drumsticks in the oven in a large oven proof baking tray for 30 minutes.
- REMOVE the chicken from the oven and turn them onto the other side. Spoon over the marinade that is on the bottom of the baking tray over the drumsticks.
- BRUSH the remaining 3 tablespoons of honey onto the drumsticks and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- BAKE the drumsticks in the oven for a further 25 – 30 minutes.
- SERVE immediately.