A warm and comforting homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. Made in under 1 hour, with fridge and pantry staples it’s so much better than shop bought! Get ready to tuck into a hearty bowl of pure comfort.
I know what you’re thinking. Chicken noodle soup? In may? Who gets sick during summer right?
Well I live in London and the weather here can be pretty temperamental. Oh how I yearn for those consistently long summer days, when the sun is shining, the birds are chirping and the water is glistening in the beautiful sunshine.
Alright Shorna, enough with the cheesy talk I hear you say. 😛 But for real you guys, the weather in London has been so temperamental lately. One day its warm and sunny and the next (just like today) its cold, rainy and gloomy. Weather has such an effect on how I feel and rays of sunshine instantly uplift my mood.
As some of you may already know, my brother got married 1 month ago today and my sister in law Nishat (Nishi) was feeling pretty under the weather last week. I’m not too sure what hit her, but I blame it on a combination of this British weather which has a different personality almost everyday and the pre-wedding stress from organising the wedding (she’s a perfectionist).
Anyway, as soon as I knew that she wasn’t feeling very well, I thought what better than making her a hearty pot of my Best Chicken Noodle Soup. Okay well erm … I can’t really say its my Best Chicken Noodle Soup. Let’s rephrase that. My mothers Best Chicken Noodle Soup. This is REAL Chicken Noodle Soup you guys. The warm and comforting kind. You know, the kind that wraps you up and gets rid of all those aching, sore and drowsy cold spots right away!
I prefer using chicken thighs in this Chicken Noodle Soup. I’ve found that it’s so much more flavourful and tender in comparison to chicken breast. Its adds a certain richness to the soup which is absent when I’ve used chicken breast. If you use chicken thighs with the bone on it’s even better, as it makes the broth more substantial in depth, flavour and aroma.
Okay so now let’s get down to discussing the real important bits about Chicken Noodle Soup.
Yes, I don’t know about you, but the noodles in Chicken Noodle Soup are one my favourite aspects of the whole dish. The silky smooth spaghetti noodles cooked in the delicious chicken broth is pure bliss.
You can really use whatever type of noodle you like. But for me, Chicken Noodle Soup isn’t right without spaghetti. I usually break up the spaghetti into thirds before placing it in the broth to cook.
P.S. You don’t have to be sick to make this mouth wateringly delicious soup. Just in the mood for some good old, easy, home made comfort in a bowl. Just saying 🙂
- 3 table spoons olive oil (60ml)
- ½ medium white onion, chopped (70g)
- 10 garlic cloves, chopped (35g)
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- ⅓ cup water (80ml)
- 10 ounces boneless chicken thighs, cubed (300g)/2 skinless chicken breasts, cubed (300g)
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 tea spoon ground black pepper
- 1 carrot, peeled, sliced and halved (200g)
- 5 celery stalks, sliced (220g)
- 53 ounces chicken stock (1.5 litre)
- 2.5 ounces pasta (60g)
- 2 table spoons unsalted butter
- 1 white potato, peeled and cubed (200g)
- 3 scallions/ spring onions, sliced thinly (60g)
- salt to taste
- HEAT the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, ginger and saute for 5 minutes until softened. Add ⅓ cup water if the pot gets too dry and the onions start to stick to the pot.
- ADD the chicken, bay leafs and ground black pepper to the pot and cook for 10 minutes over a low-medium heat with the lid on.
- POUR in the chicken stock. ADD the carrots and celery. COOK for a further 15 minutes.
- ADD the pasta and butter, cook for 5 minutes.
- ADD the potatoes and scallions. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- SERVE immediately.